The Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) following the successes of 2012 naturally chose the University of Birmingham to host its camp for the 2017 London World Athletics Championships. On the side-lines of the camp the JAAA initiated discussions with the University of Birmingham and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital of Birmingham. This led to the signing of a MOU between the Ministry of Health of Jamaica and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Friday, August 04, 2017
The MOU provides for;
- Opportunities for training of specialist nurses from Jamaica to serve both Birmingham and Jamaica.
- Specialist exposure for Jamaican post-graduate doctors in several specialist areas such as Orthopaedics, Neurosciences and Urology, transplantation medicine, amongst others.
- Assistance for Jamaica in setting up centres of excellence in areas such as oncology, cardiology, nephrology etc.
- Biomedical engineering and clinical support.
- Joint research activities.
The signing of this MOU continues the JAAA’s strategic objective of using the things that we are good at (athletics) to leverage benefits in areas that we as a country are weak.